/ricerca/ansaen/search.shtml?any=
Show less

Se hai scelto di non accettare i cookie di profilazione e tracciamento, puoi aderire all’abbonamento "Consentless" a un costo molto accessibile, oppure scegliere un altro abbonamento per accedere ad ANSA.it.

Ti invitiamo a leggere le Condizioni Generali di Servizio, la Cookie Policy e l'Informativa Privacy.

Puoi leggere tutti i titoli di ANSA.it
e 10 contenuti ogni 30 giorni
a €16,99/anno

  • Servizio equivalente a quello accessibile prestando il consenso ai cookie di profilazione pubblicitaria e tracciamento
  • Durata annuale (senza rinnovo automatico)
  • Un pop-up ti avvertirà che hai raggiunto i contenuti consentiti in 30 giorni (potrai continuare a vedere tutti i titoli del sito, ma per aprire altri contenuti dovrai attendere il successivo periodo di 30 giorni)
  • Pubblicità presente ma non profilata o gestibile mediante il pannello delle preferenze
  • Iscrizione alle Newsletter tematiche curate dalle redazioni ANSA.


Per accedere senza limiti a tutti i contenuti di ANSA.it

Scegli il piano di abbonamento più adatto alle tue esigenze.

Eritrean admits tapped calls

Eritrean admits tapped calls

Mystery over identity remains

Rome, 10 June 2016, 15:01

ANSA Editorial

ANSACheck

- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

-     ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

An Eritrean national extradited to Italy on Tuesday on human trafficking charges has admitted making the phone calls investigator say prove he ran a vast operation to smuggle migrants from Africa to Europe, but has denied the charges, sources said Friday.
    On Thursday friends of the extradited man, named as Mered Medhanie, said that the police had got the wrong man.
    They were quoted by the BBC as saying that the Eritrean national first detained by Sudan in May and then extradited to Italy this week is not Medhanie but a friend of theirs called Mered Resfanarian, 28.
    The man said Friday that he was indeed arrested in Sudan on May 24 and admitted making the tapped phone calls which British investigators say prove he was a trafficking boss. He denied being a human trafficker.
    But the mystery over his identity remained.
    The man's friends told the BBC that Resfanarian has been mistaken for the alleged smuggler and that he is innocent. The BBC also published two photos, one portraying the man believed to be Medhanie and the other the man said to be Resfanarian, provided by his friends, including an Eritrean national who said he cohabited with the 28-year-old in Sudan. A Swedish journalist of Eritrean origin who interviewed Mered last year also told Swedish daily Aftonbladet that the man in the photo is not Mered but a refugee who lived in Khartoum.
    Ha ammesso le telefonate intercettate che, secondo gli inquirenti, proverebbero il suo ruolo nella tratta dei migranti. Ha ammesso che il cellulare da cui quelle telefonate erano partite, servito agli investigatori inglesi della Nca per la sua localizzazione, e poi sequestrato il giorno dell'arresto, era in suo uso. E ha affermato di essere lui l'uomo arrestato dalla polizia Sudanese il 24 maggio in una villa alla periferia di khartoum, fugando i dubbi di uno scambio di persona dopo il fermo. Ma ha negato tutte le accuse contestate dai magistrati, cioè di essere un capo del traffico dei migranti

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA

Not to be missed

Share

Or use

ANSA Corporate

If it is news,
it is an ANSA.

We have been collecting, publishing and distributing journalistic information since 1945 with offices in Italy and around the world. Learn more about our services.