Three children from the Congo who
have been adopted by Italian families and are already in Italy
may have been taken from their biological families in exchange
for money, according to a statement on Tuesday by Silvia Della
Monica, vice president of the government's Commission on
International Adoptions (CAI). Della Monica said judicial
authorities have been notified. "If the children were taken from
their families and the organisations knew about it, there are
precise responsibilities to determine," she said.
A final group of 18 out of a total of 66 children from the
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) arrived in Italy for adoption
last June.
The adoptive parents, who had been protesting delays in
the process, were not told of their arrival until the last
pieces of red tape were removed.
DRC authorities authorized the 66 adopted children to join
their Italian parents at the end of March.
Another 14 adopted children were authorized to leave the
African country a year ago, in mid-February.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA